Old people are just young people with life experience.
While ageing is inevitable, the age you feel is a state of mind. I’ll never forget when my grandmother told me she didn’t feel a day over twenty-five - and she certainly acted like it: globetrotting, carrying on a romance with life, and twirling on her way out the door for a date with John the widower.
For most of our existence - all but the past couple of hundred years - a human’s average life span has been thirty years or less. Today, the average life span in developed countries is almost eighty years. The elderly are experiencing a longer phase of life, much of which involves more time for travel, hobbies, or volunteer work.
Live Your Life Homecare offers holistic care and believes in helping people maintain their independence and live a safe and healthy life in the comfort of their own home, while also alleviating the strain on our current healthcare system. The team at Live Your Life Homecare is community-oriented, with a focus on uplifting and bolstering the autonomy of residents in Surrey, White Rock and Delta.
Nurses are the backbone of BC Health Care, and in an environment where our resources are being exhausted, this week offers a great opportunity to showcase the pride and esteem we hold for the nurses in our communities. The theme for this year is #YESThisIsNursing.
Our elders are too precious to herd into hospitals and prop up in crowded hallways until they wither away. They are timekeepers, storytellers, and voyagers across decades of terrain who deserve individualized care and attention.
The years, they pass without our consent. But ageing shouldn’t stop you from getting the most out of your life.
My grandmother, caught in a photo as a teenager: standing in an open field with the breeze stirring her hair, laughing and waving her hands in front of her face in embarrassment.
My grandmother, still stunning at eighty-seven, waves to me from her garden. I’m sitting cross-legged on the patio admiring the way she moves as she tends to the flowers, the way her face is awash with light when she turns towards the sun. In this moment, she isn't a day over twenty-five.
Live Your Life Homecare will help her keep living like this, right at home.
Ideas for celebrating International Nurses Week:
- Have a series of lunch-and-learn sessions where nurses from different practice areas present on their role and responsibilities
- Invite a nursing leader to present on a topic of interest to colleagues or community gatherings
- Plan a social outing with all the nurses in your organization
- Display nursing artifacts, such as school hats, pins and uniforms, in a prominent area of your workplace
- Organize a potluck lunch or a healthy snack break to bring nurses and other employees together
- On social media, tell others about the diversity of your role by using the #YESThisIsNursing hashtag
- Tell your nursing story on social media
- Offer to conduct a nursing careers session at a local school
- Suggest story ideas or offer to be interviewed by your local media, focusing on stories related to the NNW theme